Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Shredded Beef Sandwiches



Crock Pot Wednesday Inaugural Event – Hosted by Dining with Debbie. You must check out the wonderful gifts to be given away by Debbie.

I, like Debbie, had as my first crockpot the beautiful green rival....brings back memories....




I love my current "slow cooker" Westbend Crockery Cooker. Settings include Warm, Low and High. I love the warm setting after dish is done but not time to eat, or for keeping dip ready to eat.




I seem to use my cooker more in the winter, since most of my recipes are for soup and chili. I am looking forward to the Wednesday recipes and to using my cooker much more in hot weather.

I do like the Shredded Beef Sandwich recipe below and make it in the summer.

1 boneless chuck roast (about 4 lbs)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T vinegar
2 T brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
Hamburger Buns

Cut roast in half; place in a slow cooker. Top with onion. Combine the next eight ingredients; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 9 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove roast and cool slightly; shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking liquid. return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Using a clotted spoon, place on bun and top with your choice of slaw, sauce, etc.

Folks I have been up since 3 AM after hearing tornado siren going off. Front has passed, leaving only rain (yep again) but I have already put in a full day....laundry, made bed, showered, cooked breakfast, "Blogged" and am ready for a nap. Seriously!

17 comments:

Alison said...

tornado warning? no rain here. not even a drop.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for participating in Crock Pot Wednesdays. Good luck to you with the giveaways. Now, go to bed for that nap while your slow cooker takes care of dinner! I'm glad you and your family are safe.

Joyce said...

I get the heebe jeebes when I hear the warning go off here. Glad you are OK and I would bet that you may be too tired to eat dinner tonight:)
Joyce

Patty said...

Recipe sounds yummy. Yes, I would say you are ready for a nap. Happy snoozing.

Anonymous said...

Nanny,
I am going to try this recipe....my Hubs is planning on having a poker party in our basement. Wouldn't this be great to make for the guys? Thanks, Terry

theUngourmet said...

Mmm! This sound so terrific!

We had that same Crock Pot when I was a kid! :0)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I make a similar recipe in the crock pot. I had not used mine in years and then all of a sudden "discovered" it again. Makes some really great meals and saves a lot of energy. Hugs, Marty

Tasha said...

The recipe sounds yummy! I love any recipe involving the crock pot! That green blast from the past is great too! :-)

Anonymous said...

I have the same slow cooker and I love it. THis recipe sounds good!

Sunny said...

Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try it. I loved my old Crock Pot, the one I have now is big enough to cook an elephant! Well, a very small elephant!
Happy napping.
Sunny :)

Betsy Brock said...

My first crockpot was like your green Rival, only bright orange. :P I saw this post on my sidebar this morning and quickly added a roast to my shopping list...now I'm all set! :)

Solar Powered said...

Yep, I want to make this. Sounds good! Thanks for sharing. Keep the crockpot recipes coming!

grammy said...

I have that same green crock pot. It works better than my new red one. The new one always seems to burn things. So annoying. Love the burp cloth and the mushrooms (o:

KBeau said...

I used to have the avocado green Rival thing, but I either gave it away or sold it in a garage sale years ago. Seems that crock pot cooking is making a big come back, so I may have to break down and buy a new one. Trouble is, I'd then have to find room to store it. If I can find another spot for LBeau's coozies that are taking up way too much room, then I might manage a place.

nanny said...

Oh KBeau you should see my shelf of coozies/ha

Unknown said...

did you get a good night's sleep last night?

We've been having terrible weather all summer.
We are semi-close to Louisville but didn't get quite as much rain as they did.

Sunny said...

I had a crockpot like your avocado one too! Loved it and wish I still had it :)
I should go thriftshop shopping~