Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Game Hens and Rice


This is a favorite of ours. It is an easy recipe and can be made for company without spending much time in the kitchen. Add a salad and bread and you have a great meal. This recipe is for 2 so just adjust it for more. I think you will really like it.

2 - 1 lb. game hens
2 tbsp chopped onion
1/3 cup uncooked Uncle Ben's (or any brand) long grain wild rice
3 tbsp oleo (I used butter)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup (or more) chopped mushrooms

Salt and pepper hens, inside and out. Cook onion, mushrooms and rice in butter 5 -10 minutes. Add water, bouillon cube, lemon juice and salt. Bring to a boil stirring to dissolve cube. Reduce heat, cover, cook on low for 20 - 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is fluffy. Lightly stuff birds with rice mixture. Brush with melted butter. Roast covered at 400 deg. for 30 minutes. Uncover and roast 1 hour longer.

Have a good evening all.

I leave you with this:

Thanks for the memories, we love you Patrick,

4 comments:

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

As always, the Game Hens look delicious and stuffing them with long grain rice...YUM!!

I am a Patrick fan...I was HEAD OVER HEELS in love with him in 1987! So sorry to see him go!

Unknown said...

I can almost smell them...

Tanna said...

Yummy! I love Game Hens! They just have an elegant, special look, they taste great, and they are so easy. Just can't beat that in my book. (I like that you are a butter user, too! lol)

May Patrick rest in great peace...

theUngourmet said...

Yum! What a delicious meal! :P

I'm so sad about Patrick Swayze! Cancer is evil! He was still so young! :0(