Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Comfort Food

You just can't beat a good church cookbook. I buy everyone I can find. This meat loaf recipe has become my favorite! After watching the food network I decided to cook it on a rack as they recommend instead of the normal loaf pan. Lets all of the grease (which there was not much because I bought 93/7 meat.) Ready to go in the oven:



One and one half hours later:



Since I cannot link you to the recipe from Heat and Soul Cookbook, Meat Loaf courtesy of Beverly Hays....

1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 c. cracker crumbs
2 eggs
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 T. chopped bell pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 T. Worcestershire sauce

Mix ingredients well and bake in a loaf pan for 1 to 1 1/4 hours at 350 deg. Drain and pour sauce mix over loaf. Cook additional 10 minutes.

Sauce Mix:

1 1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c ketchup
2 tsp mustard


Enjoy.....

9 comments:

Joyce said...

I never thought to cook it on a rack. I finally received one of those meat loaf pans last year with the little rack that lifts out for the grease to drip. I love that little pan. I make our meatloaf with turkey to cut the fat and calories. My family never noticed the difference when I made the switch and I am sure not going to tell them now:)
Joyce

Betsy Brock said...

Yum! I've always baked mine on a rack. And I do a glaze like that! This is making me hungry...I love meatloaf!

Joy Tilton said...

Another great recipe and I know my husband would love this! I hope my blog will work again, we bought a new computer today and so far the Internet Explorer problem is not rearing it's ugly head. It will be hard to get used to a new keyboard and Windows Vista format. Old dog and new tricks don't mix!

Linda said...

Now this is one recipe I'll try...my family loves meatloaf! It looks delish!

theUngourmet said...

You did a terrific job on this. Mine never seems to come out looking this nice.

My MIL brought me back an old church cookbook from Vermont. There are the coolest old recipes in there!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Meat loaf was a HATED meal for me as a child and as an adult I ADORE IT!!!!

Nanny! This looks SOOOOO good!

Patty said...

Tuesday I mixed up a small meat loaf, but then I didn't want to heat the house by turning on the oven, so I made the mixture into meatballs and slowly browned them and then let simmer in my country kettle. Fixed some baked beans on top of the stove by letting them simmer in a skillet, it all turned out great. Served with shoe peg corn salad and pickled beets left over from Sunday.

Tasha said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe and the tip about using the rack for cooking it! It looks so good! I have never made meatloaf so I'm going to try your recipe! Yum!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

This recipe looks delish!!! I too had never thought to cook it on a rack.

What a novel idea.