Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Girl, Paula



I love my Paula recipes....Last night I made a real winner. In the January/February issue of Cooking with Paula Deen the Spaghetti and Meatballs really caught my eye. My mother always made meatballs in our spaghetti and it is just something I have never tried. Saturday is usually "steak" night at my house but I decided I wanted spaghetti....so.....I cooked both. Steak for him and spaghetti for me and we were both happy!!

Makes 2 servings plus leftovers
1/2 pound ground chuck
1/2 pound ground pork
1 cup chopped onion (I didn't use that much)
1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 T chopped fresh parsley (I used dried)
1 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced (I used 1 tsp. of chopped)
1 tsp salt
1 egg
Spaghetti Sauce (recipe follows)
1 8 oz pkg spaghetti or linguini

Preheat oven to 400 deg. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a rack inside baking sheet. Spray rack with pam.

In a large bowl, combine ground Chuck, ground port, onion, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, oil, garlic, salt, and egg; stir gently to combine. Form mixture into 3-inch meatballs. Place on prepared rack in baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.



Spaghetti Sauce

2 T olive oil
1 cup chopped onion (I didn't use that much)
4 cloves garlic , minced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
2 tsp Italian seasoning
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 4 to 5 minutes. or until tender. Add wine, and cook until wine is reduced by half. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil, reduce heat, add baked meatballs and simmer for 20 minutes.



Serve over hot cooked pasta



Oh yes Paula....full of flavor....I give this one a definite thumbs up!!!



I can't wait to have the leftovers tonight!

For more Paula followers click here! Join in, you know you want to!

Have a good evening all!

Nanny

9 comments:

Solar Powered said...

Mouth watering...just wrong to feature those carbs...yum!

Lisa said...

Mouthwatering indeed!

I came somehow thinking of Paula Abdul. How could I???!

Deb said...

sounds yummy.....always better the second day...

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Looking wonderful! Sounds delicious!

Betsy Brock said...

I do occassionally make meatballs...so very yummy! A little labor intensive, but soo worth it! Yes, the leftovers will be wonderful!...why is that with Italian food...even better later!?

Patty said...

Looks yummy, and I would serve leftover to him later, so he can see what he was missing out on.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

YUM! Paula's recipe sound similar to mine except I don't put in quite as many onions and I use dried Italian bread crumbs instead of Panko and I also add in a drop of milk and about 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese. I alwasy simmer my meatballs in the sauce as it cooks. baking them is probably healthier. ;-)

PiperLynne said...

OMG. I bought this issue and made it the same night and I LOVED it so much. But I lost the recipe in the move back to Florida and have been searching the interwebs for it for months. I'm so glad you posted this here. If I could see you in person, I'd hug you something fierce miss thang! Much love! - PiperLynne

PiperLynne said...

You wouldn't still happen to have that magazine would you? And if you do... would you be willing to scan the pages with the recipe on it so I can print it out? I tried what you had posted, but it seemed to be missing something. I can't figure it out.