Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My New Dip!



I have been eating Roasted Red Pepper Hummus from Wal Mart and really like it. Solar told me about Sabra Classic from Sam's and now it is my favorite. I love it with pretzel sticks or carrots. From The Belly Off! Diet, "This spread made of mashed chickpeas, tahini, and olive oil is rich in protein and fiber. The tahini, a paste made of ground sesame seeds, delivers omega-3 fatty acids. You don't need to eat much; it's filling and high in calories. It makes a terrific high-fiber, high-protein sandwich spread instead of mayonnaise." I told my husband it is dip and he likes it.....doesn't know what it is made of, (he wouldn't have tasted it) A wife has to do what a wife has to do!!!

The book also has a section on the 6 best foods you're not eating, but should. Let's talk about 1 of the 6.
Kimchi...
"This spicy pickled cabbage, eaten at almost every meal in Korea, is packed with vitamins and immune-system-boosting phytochemicals. Its main ingredient, fermented cabbage, contains lactic acid, which helps with digestion and may weaken infections. Several years ago, kimchi made big news when Korean researchers found chickens infected with the avian flu recovered more quickly after being fed an extract of kimchi. More recently a study at the University of New Mexico suggested that eating cabbage might help ward off breast cancer. Kimchi is low in calories and rich in dietary fiber."
All of those reasons are good enough for me to look for a good kimchi recipe!! I love the store bought and know homemade would be better! Do you have a recipe?

Rain, Rain and more Rain!!!!!
Off to watch America's Got Talent!
Have a good evening all!

10 comments:

Solar Powered said...

maybe that's in the seawood soup from Korea that Mina says I have to eat after delivery. I have the recipe, will you make it for me?

Anonymous said...

I love Trixie. What a nice looking dog she is. I love dogs. And I have had dogs all of my life until Autumn died in 2006. My wife of 54 years said we didn't want to get another as we didn't want to have to go through the separation thing ever again. We had done it so many times before. Anyway...maybe someday.

I also liked your photos on your blog and your writing is very good.

Be part of history. Become a Follower or leave a comment. Tell you friends. Link up. Pick a Peck of Pixels

nanny said...

Solar....looking forward to making (and eating) the soup.
Abe....I am a follower and left a comment..I wish to learn from you!

Betsy Brock said...

Very interesting about the kimchi! I read a few years ago that cabbage is so good for you...cabbage of any kind! Pass the slaw, please! :)

tootie said...

It's funny that you mention hummus - I just bought some chickpeas recently to try making my own.

Good idea on using it as a spread for sandwiches! I'll have to try that!

nanny said...

Tootie - I made some, it was ok, I think not having the tahini made a difference. Next time I'll be sure and have it on hand. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

theUngourmet said...

I picked up some really nice Hummus from Trader Joe's the other day. It had some pine nuts and herbs sprinkled on top.

I've never tried Kimchi. I see it in the store sometimes and think of buying it. I bet it would be fun to make.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

YUM! I love hummus dips! My kids do too and I have the same philosophy as you...I do NOT tell them WHAT is in it! I have been contemplating making home made but need to buy that very important ingredient Tahini!

grammy said...

I had that exact hummus for lunch today. I had to many kids making me crazy, so I just dipped some pieces of dries bread in it. That's all I could find (o: Where do you buy that other stuff...kimchi? Tell us more things later.

Patty said...

I'll have to tell our vegetarian daughter about the hummus.