Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Half Broke Horses


I just finished this wonderful book and had to tell you all how much I enjoyed it. 

If you liked The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, you must read Half Broke Horses
This is the story of Jeannette's grandmother, a mustang breaker, schoolteacher, ranch wife, bootlegger, poker player, racehorse rider, bush pilot mother of two.  Do I have your attention yet? 

The story is told in the first person (which I love) in the captivating way that only Jeannette can do.  She is such a great storyteller.  I was drawn into the story and the characters on page one. 

This is one of those special stories that you almost hate to finish.  I feel like I know the characters so well that I'm going to reread The Glass Castle.  It will have a new meaning this time.  Which brings me to a question.....Do you ever read a book multiple times?  Has to be a great one to reread, uh?

11 comments:

Grandmother said...

Yes, it has to be a great one for me to reread. Lately, I've reread "Mists of Avalon" by Marian Zimmer Bradley and the 7 books of the Harry Potter series by R.K. Rowling. I'll check out your recommendation. Love hearing about good books.

tootie said...

I LOVED this book and the glass castle. I know what you mean - I was sad when I read the last page! Hopefully she will write another one.

Solar Powered said...

Oooo, I can't wait to read it!

Farmchick said...

I haven't read this book, but thank you for the reccomendation.

Sarah said...

I just found your blog through another and just wanted to comment on your pictures. They are so good! You have some cute grandkids!

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

grammy said...

I may have lost my comment...but I said...yes I re-readand wish I had that title just an hour ago when I went to the library.

Mary said...

This does sound like a read with possibilities. Your recommendation is appreciated. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Amanda said...

Haven't read either of these, but you sure make them sound good. I'm reading Breaking Night right now. Have you read that one?

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

I loved The Glass Castle and wondered about this one! Now, I will have to get out and find it! I have lots I need to get out and find... this book, the green stuff and the Chia! LOL! Now that things are settling down around here, maybe I can do that! Blessings ~ Tanna

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I truly enjoyed Glass Castle...will be adding this one to my library list.

I rarely read a story twice...but my latest pleasure is reading juvenile novels with my kids...that I read at their age. Re-living these stories are such pleasure.

Just a Girl said...

I have read The Glass Castle and found it enjoyable; I will have to grab this one as well! I love autobiographical novels, they're always so interesting and entertaining.


I am just getting my own brand-new blog started, please come visit sometime! :)

~Just a Girl