Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Half Broke Horses


I just finished this wonderful book and had to tell you all how much I enjoyed it. 

If you liked The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, you must read Half Broke Horses
This is the story of Jeannette's grandmother, a mustang breaker, schoolteacher, ranch wife, bootlegger, poker player, racehorse rider, bush pilot mother of two.  Do I have your attention yet? 

The story is told in the first person (which I love) in the captivating way that only Jeannette can do.  She is such a great storyteller.  I was drawn into the story and the characters on page one. 

This is one of those special stories that you almost hate to finish.  I feel like I know the characters so well that I'm going to reread The Glass Castle.  It will have a new meaning this time.  Which brings me to a question.....Do you ever read a book multiple times?  Has to be a great one to reread, uh?

11 comments:

Grandmother Mary said...

Yes, it has to be a great one for me to reread. Lately, I've reread "Mists of Avalon" by Marian Zimmer Bradley and the 7 books of the Harry Potter series by R.K. Rowling. I'll check out your recommendation. Love hearing about good books.

tootie said...

I LOVED this book and the glass castle. I know what you mean - I was sad when I read the last page! Hopefully she will write another one.

Solar Powered said...

Oooo, I can't wait to read it!

Michelle said...

I haven't read this book, but thank you for the reccomendation.

Sarah said...

I just found your blog through another and just wanted to comment on your pictures. They are so good! You have some cute grandkids!

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

grammy said...

I may have lost my comment...but I said...yes I re-readand wish I had that title just an hour ago when I went to the library.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This does sound like a read with possibilities. Your recommendation is appreciated. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Amanda said...

Haven't read either of these, but you sure make them sound good. I'm reading Breaking Night right now. Have you read that one?

Tanna said...

I loved The Glass Castle and wondered about this one! Now, I will have to get out and find it! I have lots I need to get out and find... this book, the green stuff and the Chia! LOL! Now that things are settling down around here, maybe I can do that! Blessings ~ Tanna

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I truly enjoyed Glass Castle...will be adding this one to my library list.

I rarely read a story twice...but my latest pleasure is reading juvenile novels with my kids...that I read at their age. Re-living these stories are such pleasure.

Just a Girl said...

I have read The Glass Castle and found it enjoyable; I will have to grab this one as well! I love autobiographical novels, they're always so interesting and entertaining.


I am just getting my own brand-new blog started, please come visit sometime! :)

~Just a Girl