Sunday, August 22, 2010

Brown and Dead!

I made the comment to a fellow blogger that I haven't mowed my yard since the first week of July! Thought I would explain that comment. When I say "mow the yard" I actually mean the entire yard, complete with weed eating and riding lawnmower. I did mow the dead weeds last month because they were just ugly.


I found pictures taken the same week of August 2009 and 2010.
I have some bare spots around the trees that I struggle with, trying to get grass to grow...but 2009 was a wet year and the grass thrived (as did the weeds)




No mowing needed this year.....




My front yard is gone too. Usually at the end of November I mow the leaves! When it cools off I guess I will get on that project!




All of the leaves are turning and falling. Normally the trees don't look like this until after a hard frost.









I have one area that I have watered everyday. It is around the pool house. We had topsoil brought in and I planted Bermuda so I have pampered this area. I got the push mower out yesterday and gave it a trim....




I have sure missed my yard days this summer. They were the highlight of my week. Nothing prettier than a freshly mowed and trimmed yard (to me) Plus it is great exercise!

I hope you all are having a wonderful Sunday!

Nanny

12 comments:

KBeau said...

Sorry you are going through this drought. Looks like what we went through here in Alabama last summer.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh My Goodness... I thought we were dry here this summer... Looks like you all are much drier there... George and I have watered the plants/flowers off and on all summer --but haven't had to mow much either... BUT--we aren't as brown as you...

It's been a rough summer for many of us.... I'm ready for FALL.
Hugs,
Betsy

Tanna said...

Oh, Nanny. It always seems even hotter when the grass turns brown... and, then add the trees... makes for a brutal summer. We have watered and watered... still things are suffering. I'm ready for a breath of cool... and, I usually HATE for summer to close.

Cheryl said...

We have had a hot, dry summer here. Husband mows all the huge yard with a push mower, says its the best exercise. We do need rain and its expected tonight. I am surprised by how dry it is and that the leaves have dropped already.

Amanda said...

You know what this post made me think? Not only have you missed out on your summer yard, but it looks like you're going to miss out on fall foliage, too, since the leaves are already falling! How sad! =(

Faith said...

Our lawns are starting to look brown and dead here too, but I think we're in for a couple days of rain so that should help. I am so ready for the cooling autumn weather though! :)

Rose said...

it's sad this year as the heat has affected alot of yards and normally green grass areas. thanks foe leaving a comment on my blog re military. We would never survive if we didn't have those brave men and women. rose

Gypsy Heart said...

It's so sad isn't it? I love it when everything is green and lush...alas, not this year.

Hope you have a wonderful week!
Pat

Solar Powered said...

That's depressing!

Julie Harward said...

And we have had nothing but rain storm after rainstorm and we are usually dry! It's been such a strange year! :D

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh goodness, so sorry about how dry it's been for you! You do have a great yard, bet it's really beautiful when it's green!

Nancy

Marguerite said...

That is just terrible! I will do a rain dance for you, which usually works! :)