Friday, August 6, 2010

Pepper Sauce

Every year I plant one cayenne and one jalapeno plant. I always hope to get enough from these two for fresh pepper sauce! I usually get 2 - 3 pints, enough to last until next year. I love to add pepper sauce to beans, peas, turnip greens and a variety of other dishes. I have noticed that the beans, etc don't taste the same without my pepper sauce....guess you could say I am addicted to the flavor and the hotness....I love it!




I had enough to make my first pint yesterday.
I like to cut the peppers up to release more flavor. Bring the vinegar to a boil, add a small amount of vegetable oil (old secret from a friend of my dad) makes it hotter.....pour over the peppers and seal.



Later in the year the peppers will turn red and the sauce I make from those babies will be wonderful..
I find it interesting that some people cannot take the least bit of hotness(my husband) and others eat whole jalapenos like candy(my son in law, BM)...It seems like the more I eat the less it hurts...ha Maybe my mouth is just numb.

I did a little research on what the heat really is and found this:


From Wikipeia:

The heat, or burning sensation, experienced when consuming hot sauce is caused by capsaicin. the burning sensation is not "real" in the sense of damage being wrought on tissues. It is instead a chemical reaction with the body's neurological system.

Water should not be used to relieve the burning as water opens the taste buds. Milk however has been found to work.
I hope you are having a good Friday....see you later!
Nanny

10 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Another Friday's favorite!
I'd take those peppers and put them on e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g!

Nancy's Notes said...

Wow Nanny, how neat that you plant one cayenne and one jalapeno plant! That is just so interesting and awesome! I love hot peppers, how clever of you to plant your own! I like the milk tip!

Have a great weekend!

Nancy

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Hubbie would SOOOO love to have your pepper sauce on hand...he puts hot sauce on LOTS of things. Fresh and homemade would be SOO much better. I like just a little bit of hot!

It's Just Dottie said...

I have not made pepper sauce in so many years. I made it the same way for my Papa. He would put it on just about everything. I have peppers in my garden and they are going to be made into pepper sauce today.
Dottie

Marguerite said...

Your pepper sauce looks wonderful! Love that combo! I love peppers and put them in just about everything, too.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I made pepper sauce last summer but haven't heard to add some oil. I'll try that next time! blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

mmm... i love hot stuff! and those peppers look yummy! we grew up with spicy food - so milk was a staple in our home! ;)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thanks for this recipe Nanny. I have a pimento pepper plant that has about 50 red hot peppers on it and I was going to freeze them. Instead I'll try your way of preserving them. We LOVE hot sauce!

Deb said...

looks great..

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Nanny, I used to live in Texas---and I would/could eat spicey stuff (or HOT stuff).... Now that I'm OLDER, I cannot 'stomach' the hot or spicey stuff anymore... SO--you'll never find Jalapenos at my home.. Glad you enjoy them though.
Hugs,
Betsy