Tuesday, January 24, 2012

They Survived!

Last summer we had the flower beds redone. As the guys were digging out the existing plants, I asked that they please save my jonquil bulbs. When I got home that afternoon there was 5 wal mart plastic bags filled with bulbs on the porch. I couldn't believe that my small bed had that many bulbs. They really needed to be dug up and transplanted but I never got around to it. So as fall approached I knew I needed to get the bulbs in the ground. Finally I tackled the project. I bought a bulb planting little shovel and started digging. When I planted all I wanted I had only used a small portion of one sack......then I wondered....will they live.....will they come up next year?

Yesterday morning I happened to look at the bed and wow, look what I saw!



I went outside to inspect the beauties and found one big bunch that got overlooked.


The bed is filled with shoots popping out of the ground. 

I am so happy to see that they survived.  Now I wonder if the rest of the bulbs still in the sacks will live until next fall?  What do you think?  If they do I am going to plant bulbs everywhere.

All this means that snowfall is approaching.  When they bloom we get snow every year!!! Oh My!

15 comments:

Jill said...

How exciting!!

If the other bulbs have been stored in a cool, dry place they just might make it. Just toss any that are mushy. :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I was surprised to see them growing already for you, Nanny, but then I guess your state is already getting warmer. Glad they are doing well for you!

Solar Powered said...

Doesn't it always snow on Jackson's birthday...or Alison's? If it holds off until them I'm fine but let me get home from Dallas first! I want some of your bulbs :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, congrats, Nanny! How exciting to see something grow like that and so unexpectedly. Is it too late to plant the rest of the bulbs?

Cloudia said...

FEELS good to see them. thanks



Warm Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

Michelle said...

Nice to see those shoots popping up out of the ground.

Betsy Brock said...

We won't see sprouts like that until April!

Tanna said...

They always bring hope of warm spring days (after the snow!!). I will hope the others survive until the fall!! blessings ~ tanna

Eat To Live said...

Jonquils are one of my favorite spring flowers, right up there with the daffodills.

I am sure the bulbs will live. I dig them and put them into brown paper bags for storage and replant in the spring or summer, whenever I can dig.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I love it when they surprise us every year! I hope they survive another cold snap. I think it might be coming!

grammy said...

I hope my shoots stay in the ground...we have had such warm weather they are probably mixed up (o:
Yours look great (o:
Loved the eagles too (o:

Kay said...

Wow! They start blooming in January? That's amazing! They never sprouted until early April in Illinois. Lucky you!

Jennie Louise said...

Awww bulbs are VERY sturdy... great to see the first signs of spring ! (although im still hoping for a little snow)
Jennie. xx

Anonymous said...

Jonquils in JANUARY? OMG! I'm in shock to be seeing flowers sprouting in January!!! That has to be a record!!!

Get some more pics of them, I wanna see how they look, now... are they still coming up/blooming?

Amanda said...

Isn't it marvelous to see the signs of spring coming? So glad they survived another season.