Monday, January 9, 2012

'Tis The Season

But not the one you are thinking of.....
In my neck of the woods, it is:

Duck Season


On our Sunday afternoon drive we saw the fields were covered with geese but didn't see any ducks.


As we drove by them, they would get up and fly a few feet then land.



I wish I had some whole ducks that were picked for me.  Boiling a whole duck and using the broth for dressing makes the richest best dressing ever.  I have learned one thing , men don't like to pick ducks. I have friends that give me duck breasts, but aren't interested in picking me any. (Oh well, it doesn't hurt to ask)

My yard is filled with robins.  I love to watch them run about looking for worms and insects.  They have enjoyed splashing and drinking from our little pool.


Is there some sort of calculation to figure when spring will arrive based on the robins? I'm glad they are here.......my yard has been void of any birds for weeks and weeks.

11 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

I saw a robin yesterday. I think he was lost. ha.

Anonymous said...

I don't see many birds in my patio, either, probably because there is no food. In the past, when I had cats, the birds would eat the leftover cat food.

Cloudia said...

you live among winged wonders




Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

Deb said...

I've seen a lot of Robins too...love to watch them dart around...

Michelle said...

A lot of birds here...but no Robins yet. But, with the crazy warm weather I suppose they could arrive any day now.

Jill said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog today and your nice comments. I'm with you...as soon as I took the picture of the squirrel, I made him leave! ha!

You have a lovely blog and I am your newest follower. :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi THere, We have Robins around also ---but we haven't had much winter this year YET.

I've never tasted duck I don't think ---so don't know what I'm missing...

Great photos.
Hugs,
Betsy

Tanna said...

Oh, Nanny, all of your bird photos are great, but I love the little robins... the hope of spring. Zack is in full duck hunting mode. And, nope. There isn't much picking involved. LOL! blessings ~ tanna

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Hmmm, might be a little early for Robins to stick around...yet your little pool will keep them there!

Around here...I think spring is a LONG way off! :(

StitchinByTheLake said...

When we were much younger my husband hunted ducks. He doesn't any more and I miss that...I love duck. :) blessings, marlene

Kay said...

Hmmm... that's quite a robin family you have there. We rarely saw more than a couple of robins together in Illinois.