Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ricer vs Mixer?



Martha would faint that I even present this question! This morning she once again made the most awesome mashed potatoes "with ricer". I think I am going to break down and buy one of these. What do you use? I also noticed the guest used yukon gold potatoes and I thought you were to use red potatoes for mashed and white or russet for fried or baked, (that's what mama said)! Pioneer Woman uses the old standard potato masher which I guess is basically the same as ricer, just takes longer. Tell me, is ricer worth buying?

Have a good day all!

7 comments:

Tasha said...

I'm domestically challenged so I'm not much help. I just boil the potatoes until they're soft, then remove the water, then add milk and a ton of butter (I love Paula Dean's attitude about butter). I just use a plain old potato masher! Martha would hang her head in shame at my domestic skills!

Solar Powered said...

I don't know what a ricer is...something to prep your potatos before you mash them? Not happening at my house but yes, I would love to try them at yours :)

nanny said...

That's my girl....prep your potatoes

Alison said...

i've never heard of a ricer. i also heard that you don't use your kitchen aid mixer..GASP! that is the greatest thing EVER!

Betsy Brock said...

I've always wondered how a ricer would do. A mixer seems easier to me. Nobody in our house likes lumps, so I have to whip them in the electric mixer forever!...lots of butter, too! Yum!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I have taken to use a hand mixer to get them nice and smooth! Makes me hungry for some nice mashed taters!!!

The Mrs. said...

I have always wondered too!!! I don't have one but it looks so cool! I just use a mixer! Maybe figs lavender and cheese knows or sweetpeas and pumpkins?